The following websites offer information and advice about breastfeeding and breastfeeding issues.
- Association of Breastfeeding Mothers
- Australian Breastfeeding Association
- Baby Milk Action
- Breastfeeding in Scotland
- Breastfeeding Network
- Cuidiu - The Irish Childbirth Trust
- Department of Health (UK) breastfeeding website
- Health Promotion Unit (Republic of Ireland) breastfeeding website
- International Baby Food Action Network
- La Leche
- Maternity Alliance
- National Childbirth Trust
- UK Association for Milk Banking
- UK breastfeeding manifesto website.
(Click here to ask your MP, MEP or MLA to support the manifesto)
- UK Parents
- UNICEF UK Baby Friendly Initiative
- Women’s experiences of breastfeeding
- World Alliance for Breastfeeding Action
Off to a good start: all you need to know about breastfeeding your baby
This comprehensive booklet has been tailored especially for mothers in Northern Ireland. It is distributed to women at their antenatal visits, but if you haven’t received a copy, you can download a PDF here.
Northern Ireland has a number of breastfeeding support groups. They offer friendship, advice and a cup of tea or coffee! They’re especially helpful if you have a concern about breastfeeding, or if you don’t feel you know many mothers who are breastfeeding. Your maternity hospital, your midwife or your health visitor should know where your nearest group is. Alternatively, look here for a list.
You can also talk to other parents online. E-mailing lists are collections of people who discuss a common interest via e-mail. Try BreastfeedingUK for a friendly welcome. To join, send a blank e-mail to: